1. According to Jim Thomas, Eric Hoffman, and Jaydee Hanson, the risks
of synthetic biology include: D
a. destroying ecosystems
b. threatening human health
c. unsustainably increasing the pressure of human activities on land and
d. all the above
2. According to Jim Thomas, Eric Hoffman, and Jaydee Hanson, which of
the following biofuels sources uses the most water and energy and has
the greatest greenhouse gas emissions?
3. According to Gregory E. Kaebnick, it is possible that synthetic
biology could be beneficial to the environment by being used to:
a. make gasoline and absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere
b. replace extinct species
c. purify water
d. fight disease
4. According to Ted Schettler, an endocrine disruptor is a substance
a. causes developmental and reproductive abnormalities in humans
b. causes cancer
c. interferes with the body’s key signaling pathways.
d. affects brain development.
5. According to Ted Schettler, because of growing concern about
endocrine disrupting chemicals, Congress in 1996 directed the
Environmental Protection Agency:
a. to develop ways to tell whether chemicals are endocrine
b. to eliminate the release of endocrine-disrupting chemicals to
c. to eliminate human exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals
d. to develop a list of dangerous chemicals
6. According to Jon Entine, on January 15, 2010, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) declared that bisphenol A:
a. is not proven to harm children or adults
b. poses risks to developing fetuses
c. deserves strong regulatory action
d. is the object of a political witchhunt
7. According to Jon Entine, in order to weigh the benefits and
potential risks of chemicals, policy makers need:
a. input from activists
b. objective science
c. Congressional hearings
d. estimates of the costs regulations will impose on industry
8. How might the precautionary principle be applied to “synthetic biology”?
9. Why should evidence that estrogenic chemicals in the environment
harm wildlife cause us to be concerned about human health?
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.