We have heard so many claims being made about how manipulating the human gut microbiome can improve our health, treat disease, etc. It can be overwhelming. In this essay assignment, you will focus on one particular disease or condition, and then examine both the claims and the research that is being done on the gut microbiome and this health concern. This essay will allow you to utilize the analytical thinking tools you have developed first in the Science Tool Kit exercises and then in other assignments in this course.
Completing this activity will assist you in mastering Module Level Outcomes 2 and 3.
Next, submit the following:
1. How do scientists think the gut microbiome influences this disease/condition?
2. What kinds of research have been reported so far (e.g., just hypotheses or actual lab experiments using mice/other animals or human subjects)? Describe the research and ideas discussed in the video and your readings.
3. How would you describe the current level of understanding about the gut microbiome and the disease/condition you selected?
4. Are therapies or treatments now being used for patients with this disease/condition? Do you think this a good thing or a bad thing, and why?
5. Did you find any sensationalizing or grandiose claims being made for therapies that use the gut microbiome to treat this disease/condition? Do the claims differ from what you found in the research? Explain any differences you have found.
6. Would you recommend that someone suffering from this disease/condition try the therapies you examined? Why or why not?
You are also encouraged to do your own research through our library on the topic. Do not forget to include in-text citations and complete APA style references for all sources
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.